Sourcing StatementYou are applying to be part of the Novartis Talent Pool. We are not currently recruiting for this role but we are building a pipeline for future opportunities. If you would like to be considered for a similar position in future, then please submit your CV.
Job DescriptionOur Organization
The Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. NIBR includes about 6000 associates across 6 locations worldwide and multiple disease areas. The Disease Area x (DAx) department is a group of about 90 scientists that work in close collaboration with colleagues from Novartis Research and Development and external partners. Using a diverse array of approaches and cutting-edge technology, DAx aims to develop drugs that improve the lives of individuals suffering from diseases for which there is currently no cure, such as those of the liver.
Impact of this position
We are seeking an innovative, independent and dynamic research scientist to join a discovery biology team within the liver disease program. You will contribute to the NIBR drug discovery process with the goal to discover novel therapeutic treatment options for patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) with fibrosis. As a leader of a small team, you will be tasked with the identification of novel therapeutic targets and drug lead candidates. You will engage in interdisciplinary research requiring the application of specialized scientific knowledge and advanced laboratory techniques, in particular focusing on integrin and extracellular matrix biology. In a matrixed scientific environment, you will collaborate with other scientists on project activities and develop and maintain external relationships/contacts. You are expected to impact projects by identifying technical trends, both internal and external to your discipline.
Minimum requirementsYour education and professional expertise
• PhD or MD with > 3 years of postdoctoral experience
• Extensive experience and proven track-record in the use of cellular, biochemical, molecular biology and genome editing techniques to unravel complex cellular signaling pathways
• In-depth knowledge of liver (patho-)physiology and a solid background in liver fibrosis, including cultivation and analysis of primary human hepatocytes and hepatic stellate cells
• Expert knowledge in integrin and extracellular matrix biology is strongly preferred
• Strong communication skills with an ability to effectively interact with people, internally and externally
• The ability to lead a project and plan ahead, be well organized and effectively use resources to execute experiments and deliver high quality data in a timely fashion
• A proven publication track record and be well connected with academic experts, have a collaborative attitude and work well as part of a team
• Familiarity with “state of the art” computational and analytical approaches, and be comfortable with analyzing large scale datasets
• Excellent oral and written communication skills (in English) are essential
*Some restrictions on flexible working options may apply and will be discussed during interview if applicable