Business Unit Head , Switzerland - Oncology (Breast Cancer, Solid Tumors)
Gilead Sciences is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, and commercialises innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. Our heritage of science and innovation and the curiosity and passion of everyone who works here has enabled us to provide medicines that help transform standards of care for more than 30 years. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include liver diseases, infectious diseases, inflammatory diseases and cancer.
Gilead is significantly growing its pipeline in immuno-oncology through internal research, partnerships and acquisitions.
This role provides an exciting opportunity to participate in the future growth of Gilead Oncology Switzerland and to lead the initial efforts to advance our breast cancer expertise and strengthen our role in Immuno-Oncology. The role is going to be based in Zug, Switzerland.
The Business Unit Head (m/f/d) will be responsible and accountable for the strategy, planning and implementation of all commercial activities within Switzerland, with ‘success’ being defined as bringing products to patients fighting with cancer. The Business Unit Head will manage a team of Marketing and Sales professionals and lead a cross functional team to drive operational excellence. The Business Unit Head will be a member of Gilead Switzerland’s local leadership team and report into the General Manager for Gilead Switzerland.
- Lead the cross-functional team providing vision, motivation, support and coaching and drive the business and achieve our commercial objectives
- Build and execute a highly successful launch of Breast Cancer Treatment product and drive development and execution of the commercial strategy and action plans for the portfolio
- Build and lead a high-performing marketing & sales team
- Drive Operational Excellence in marketing & sales efforts and business/forecast planning
- Develop, implement, and maintain the required infrastructure to meet business goals
- Collaborate with a cross- functional team to prepare the readiness plan for launch
- Establish effective working relationships with opinion leaders and other key stakeholders & be recognized as partner in improving quality of care
- Partner with Medical Affairs to ensure effective development and implementation of strategies
- Partner with Government Affairs and Public Affairs to ensure a positive policy environment
- Support Market Access activities for all impending launches
- Create an inclusive environment in which every member of the team has an opportunity to succeed
- Participate actively in the Swiss Leadership Team and contribute to the high performance and agile, empowering and impactful culture of the entire affiliate
- Represent the leadership team of Gilead Switzerland internally and externally
- Represent the cross–functional vision in global and regional forums
- Role model Leadership Commitments and support strong Gilead Culture and Core Values
Required Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
- The successful candidate will be a recognized leader with excellent communication skills. The role requires being comfortable at working in a high-growth environment where influencing and negotiating across an organization are a prerequisite. You will need to demonstrate the ability to manage complexity, ambiguity and paradoxes through thinking outside of the box with a collaborative, constructive and solution-oriented approach.
- MBA or Advanced science degree (MD, Pharm D, PhD, business administration) preferred
- Demonstrable commercial leadership experience in the biopharmaceutical industry such as a highly successful Business Unit Lead and/or a strong sales & marketing leader within the specialty therapeutics area
- Must have recent experience in oncology specifically in solid tumors / breast cancer
- Must have a track record of effectively managing sales forces in Switzerland
- Must be a pragmatic individual who enjoys getting involved in the business at all levels and across all disciplines. Broad-based cross-functional experience is important.
- Must have a track record of successful budget management with an understanding of revenue forecasting and expense budget planning and tracking
- Must demonstrate excellence in project management and effectively managing multiple projects/priorities
- Experience with Swiss pharmaceutical regulatory requirements and relevant knowledge of the Swiss pharmaceutical market and experience with the national reimbursement system (or demonstrated ability to gain and develop knowledge rapidly).
- Strong leadership qualities such as having the ability to attract, motive and retain talent and drive a culture of collaboration, engagement and motivation.
- Strong understanding of the complexity of transplant arena is highly advantageous
- Must be good at building new relationships rapidly with KOLs and other stakeholders such as industry associations. A strong already established network is preferable.
- Must have the ability to build and drive a business, whilst possessing innate ‘market-making’ capabilities with natural self-starter, hands-on, entrepreneurial and innovative attitude.
- Preferably, previous experience in negotiating with key pricing and reimbursement agencies, and involvement in successful access and reimbursement strategies and their execution
- Strong learning agility and willingness to take on increasing responsibility
- Excellent command of written and spoken German and English
- Ability to provide strategic input at an above country level
- International experience, either working in a Global or Regional role or in the context of above country project teams is desirable
- Openness to travel domestically and some internationally when safe to do so