Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there is no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Project Leader will typically manage up to four active projects for Lonza Specialty Ingredients (LSI) on different sites and across multiple technologies throughout the process development/change and implementation phase.
The mandate also includes plant-troubleshooting tasks. The technical Project Leader will be responsible in these phases for Quality, Costs, Timing, and Risk Management of the projects and will lead multidisciplinary teams as needed. Flexibility to travel up to 20%, mainly Europe, US, China are necessary.
- Lead, direct and motivate multi-disciplinary project teams
- Hold team members accountable to deliver results within an agreed project governance structure to ensure customer and business satisfaction throughout the process optimization and implementation phase
- Act as point of contact for Operations, Operational Technology group, Engineering, Marketing, Sales and ensures that the optimization/troubleshooting projects are delivered in line with the agreed objectives
- Manage project scope, timelines and budget/profitability
- Define, organize and be responsible for all project communication, agreeing milestones and conducting “lessons learned” exercise and decommissioning the project at the end of the process development activities to contribute to process improvements
- Advanced customer communication/interaction also in different cultural environment
- In conjunction with on-site Operations, Engineering, Value-Chain Business Functions, Marketing & Sales prepare amendments and/or scope changes and provide technical input into mid-long term project strategies
- Coach and mentor other team members
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Preferred PhD/Dr. Chemical Engineering or similar with very strong chemical process understanding
- Technical competency in the area of chemical industry e.g. chemical R&D and/or chemical manufacturing
- Work experience in process development, process optimization and preferably in Project Management
- Fluency in English and German is required
- Strong intercultural skills
- Flexibility to travel up to 20%, mainly Europe, US, China are a must
- Computer skills: ChemCad or other flowsheet simulators, MS Project, PowerPoint, Word and Excel
- OSISoft PI-System knowledge and Seeq skills are a plus
- Basic skills in statistics and univariate data analysis
- Multivariate data-analysis knowledge is a plus
- Eager to use new data driven operational technologies/to foster digitalization in chemical manufacturing environment
- Strategic, operational and technical project management experience required
- Effective use of hard and soft skills in all aspects of Program Management including conflict resolution, team building, decision making, building trust etc.
- Proven planning, organization and controlling skills
- Able to analyse and solve complex problems that do not have routine solutions
- Proven business awareness and commercial acumen
- Proven leadership skills to motivate and maintain high moral within a matrix team
- Excellent writing, oral and presentation skills
- High attention to detail and ability to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels across the organization
- Strength of character to have difficult conversations with customers, internal team members and/or management if required
- Loyal and faithful team player who is accountable for the team decisions
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.