Tax and Market Access Senior Associate
Under the supervision of senior staff, the Tax and Market Access Senior Associate performs autonomously a varied range of tasks, depending on team's assignment. This covers the areas of market access, proxy voting and market taxes. The role involves wide collaboration in the team as well as interaction with internal parties and external partners (e.g. custodian banks, tax consultants).
Primary responsibilities/essential functions:
- Coordinates local market opening and account maintenance in collaboration with the custodian bank:
- Prepares market access, tax and proxy voting documentation specific to each country for review. Ensures accuracy of the information provided and compliance with the local requirements.
- Researches and analyzes standard matters in collaboration with internal and external market experts to clarify local requirements and recommends solutions.
- Coordinates market opening with the custodian bank for new market requests and fund launches. Assists in implementing changes related to fund events such as restructure, fund renaming and liquidation.
- Liaises with relevant internal and external parties to gather and complete required documents and coordinates the legalization and filing process.
- Monitors update and renewal requirements.
- Performs and/or monitors standard market taxes related functions - withholding tax:
- Oversees the reclaim of withholding taxes under Double Tax Treaties performed by the custodian bank to ensure that the required documentation is in place and all opportunities for tax relief are seized in a timely manner.
- Sets and maintains withholding tax and tax reclaim rates in the accounting system.
- Assists internal teams in solving tax reconciliation items.
- Builds strong knowledge in the areas related to the tasks assigned:
- Stays abreast of market developments via newsflashes, webinars, conferences and regular contacts with tax advisers, custodian bank specialists and internal stakeholders, and identifies and assesses related business risks and impacts (i.e., applicability of regulations and requirements).
- Has good knowledge of the fund's literature (Prospectus, Annual Reports, Fund fact sheets, investors' website, fund legal documentation etc.) and can either direct requests on funds' data to the most appropriate source or provide directly a response.
- Responds to internal/external client queries of moderate complexity
- Participates in process improvements: identifies issues and their route cause, escalates and identifies possible solutions. Implements improvements as approved by the management team.
- Participates in cross departmental projects and team initiatives:
o Provides input to working group to establish project plan and processes based on defined business objectives.
o Identifies and addresses tax and market access impacts.
Business & Technical Skills:
- Has international legal, compliance or tax education with a few years professional experience (custody experience is a plus).
- Has fluent written and spoken English (French is a plus) and demonstrates effective written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrates strong attention to details, rigor, organizational skills and consistency in the execution of daily tasks, prioritizing when necessary.
- Good numerical ability, high proficiency with various technologies, and ability to apply it to work assignments.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively collaborate with others to meet shared objectives and develop relationships.
- Demonstrates the ability to form a good understanding of the funds' features (e.g. prospectus, standard corporate administration documents, umbrella, sub-funds and share -classes structure).
- Demonstrates the ability to form a strong working knowledge of the asset management industry and fund operations as it relates to financial instruments, investment trade cycle, legal and regulatory framework, and ability to apply it to work assignments.