Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity - working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.
Internal Audit & Controls Manager
Role & Responsibilities
The Internal Audit and Controls Manager ensures that Medair is complying with relevant laws and statutes in the countries where we operate. They objectively review Medair's business processes, evaluate the efficacy of risk management procedures currently in place, protect against fraud and theft of the organization's assets and make recommendations on how to improve internal controls and governance processes to ELT and ACF Committee (Audit, Compliance and Finance).
On issues observed from internal audit / internal control, the Internal Audit & Controls Manager has a dotted line reporting relationship to the IBoT’s ACF (Audit, Compliance and Finance) Committee.
Workplace & Conditions
Medair Global Support Office (GSO), Lausanne, Switzerland or remote location.
Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
For more senior / technical roles, some other nationalities may be eligible to apply.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
- Design and prepare annual “Audit Plan” by applying risk-based approach to ensure the organisation complies with internal regulations / policies and established protocols.
- Develop and maintain the internal audit procedures to ensure that best practice is taken account of and that the audits address specific areas of risk management.
- Undertake the approved internal audit plan in line with agreed procedures liaising with all parties.
- Conducting audits of policy and compliance to standards.
- Examines documentation, including reports, statements, records, and memos to gather information.
- Completes standard paperwork and questionnaires to confirm internal controls.
- Presents summarized findings concerning audit results and trends for internal groups.
- Analyses audit results for proper “corrective actions” for management to improve.
- Makes recommendations for the best ways for a company to avoid fraud and reduce waste.
- Assesses best practices for an organisation and makes relevant, informed suggestions.
- Update auditees on findings and the audit process, and properly follow-up with auditees on the corrective actions and management response.
- Prepares reports and preserves documentation pertaining to audits for internal record and to relevant parties (i.e., ET / ACF).
- Identify common features across audits and organisation-wide issues, proposing appropriate systematic improvements.
- Providing education and training to staff to build audit / risk awareness within the organization.
- Provide feedback to relevant internal party to update the Medair “Risk Register” in the areas of risk evaluation, which involves comparing estimated risks with criteria established by the organization (such as costs, legal requirements and environmental factors).
- Design internal control framework within the organization (Medair).
- Identify and document the key controls within each key processes of major functions / stream (e.g., program, finance, logistics, engagement, etc.,) to ensure the risk / negative exposures can be properly controlled.
- Evaluate on a periodic basis the effectiveness of the key controls via testing or other methods.
- Provide observation and recommendation to various control owners for improving the control, and follow up within reasonable timeframe.
- Provide informative report to ELT on areas where key controls should be implemented or updated with significant impact (positive or negative) to the organization.
- Co-ordinate with functional teams for necessary training to the staff for the purpose of improving control adherence.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree. Professional qualification in auditing / finance, preferably with NGO experience in country program.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). French desirable.
Experience / Competencies
- At least 5 years in an auditing position.
- At least 5 years in field experience in the humanitarian or development sector.
- Excel, Navigator, Microsoft Dynamics 365 information system skills.
- Knowledge of accounting, finance and risk management
- Interpreting financial and other records.
- Adept in process management.
- Proven understanding and application of risk management frameworks.
- Ability to use spreadsheets, accounting software and other desktop IT packages.
- Critical understanding in the establishment and operation of internal control mechanisms.
- Knowledge in humanitarian aid sector.
- Ability to work independently and remotely with very limited supervision.
- Attention to detail. Communication skills and the ability to influence others
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Profiles sought and Benefits Package for Global Support Office Staff.
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.