The World Council of Churches (WCC) is a fellowship of churches founded in 1948. It brings together 350 member churches from all over the world, including Orthodox, Anglican, Baptist, Lutheran and Reformed denominations, to promote Christian unity in faith, witness and service for a just and peaceful world.
The headquarters of the WCC is at the Ecumenical Centre, Geneva, a unique space for its member churches, and from which is coordinated the programmes and activities conducted together with the member churches and ecumenical partners.
Coordinator Language Service at 50 - 70%
The WCC is looking for a Coordinator Language Service at 50 - 70%.
The selected candidate will coordinate the Language Service in the WCC, assist in the development of the language strategy in collaboration with the WCC Communications, develop the pool with translators and interpreters and provide administrative and finance tasks related to its department.
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Activity: 50 - 70% (depends on the skills)
Reporting to: Director of Communication
To ensure the provision of quality interpretation, translation and proofreading services to WCC. To undertake coordination, development, general administrative and secretarial work in the Language Service, including correspondence and contacts with freelance translators and interpreters, as well as working on various projects with the business team of the communication department. Maintain a fully operational pool of interpreters and translators worldwide in order to cover the WCC language needs at all times.
- Coordinate and develop the Language Service in the WCC and the strategy in collaboration with the communications colleagues. Manage flow of documents sent to the Language Service for translation and coordinate translation and interpretation work by contacting outside translators and interpreters
- Serve as a professional interpreter or translator for WCC, coordinate and develop the pool with translators and interpreters and complex translator’s team during WCC special events and conferences (such as assembly and Central Committee).
- Maintain and develop the content on the technical platform for translations, ecumenical terminology databases and in web-based professional translators’ databases. Maintain and up-date database and address lists of translators and interpreters.
- Upload translations in collaboration with the WCC Communications.
- Ensure proofreading of press releases and other translations.
- Prepare invoices and monitor payments to outside translators.
- Receive visitors and share information about the Language Service.
- Assist in the maintenance of ecumenical memory (organizing, filing and archiving information).
- Administrative tasks as back-up of colleagues and any other task as requested by the Director of Communication.
- Recruit and organize teams of qualified, professional conference interpreters for WCC events and meetings.
- Organize, assist and coordinate travels and facilitate visa procedures when needed.
- Collect, store and manage HR related information on all freelance professionals in compliance with Swiss law and prepare independent contracts for interpreters.
- Participate in the procurement process of interpretation technical equipment in line with ISO standards.
- Provide rental options of interpretation equipment and all necessary equipment as well as guidance to WCC staff and sister organizations on their specific meetings and events.
Qualifications and Special Requirements
- University level in related field (Bachelor or equivalent).
- Professional experience in the field of translation or communication work, in an international environment.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. Knowledge of other WCC working languages (French, German, Spanish) an asset.
- Proficiency with information technology: Microsoft Office Pack, ideally Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central. Willingness to learn other tools (Trados).
- Ability to coordinate with a large number of partners (internal and external), sensitivity to multicultural environment and data protection, flexibility in terms of work arrangement, ability to manage stress and tight deadline.
Deadline for applications: 21 June 2021
About human resources at the WCC: The WCC is an equal opportunity employer. The sole criteria for recruitment, training and career opportunities are qualification, skills, experience and performance to all its staff members.