CONTRACT DURATION: fixed term contract, starting from February-March 2022, for 1.5 year. Potential possibility for renewal for another year
ACTIVITY RATE : 80% (negotiable)
APPLICATION DEADLINE : 01-12-2021
Mission, role and activities
Applications for a postdoctoral researcher position are open at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (IHEID), with support from the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF). The successful applicant will contribute to the project Accountability of International Organizations, funded by the SNSF and led by Prof. Liliana Andonova as a PI. The position will be hosted by the Centre for International Environmental Studies (CIES) of the Graduate Institute. Overall, the postdoctoral researcher will contribute to research on episodes of public salience of international organizations and mechanisms of IOs accountability, through data gathering, qualitative case studies, and analysis as well as authorship or co-authorship of research papers and articles.
The Accountability of International Organizations project seeks to develop a broadly generalizable theory that places a spotlight on explaining the variable accountability of international organizations (IOs), and how institutional design and political action affect the scope of international accountability.
The theoretical framework inquires what features of international politics are likely to enable a greater number of accountability mechanisms to the broadest set of relevant accountability-holders. The theory informs a comparative empirical analysis on the accountability of five IOs (World Bank, the IMF, the WHO, UNICEF, and the ICRC), selected according to the expected variation in their institutional structure and other explanatory variables. The scope of accountability of IOs will be measured, using innovative layering of methodologies, including case studies, the collection and analysis of data on media salience and the triggers and practices related to accountability. The project aims to make substantial contributions to International Relations theory, the study of international institutions, and, importantly, to public policies and IO reforms.
The postdoctoral researcher will work on a team composed of the project principal investigator, Professor Liliana Andonova and a doctoral researcher. The CIES provides a multicultural, diverse and dynamic academic environment, with activities such as the lunchtime seminar series and many other events.
- Literature review and development of an analytical framework of specific project components, such as the research on media salience of IOs and activation of accountability mechanisms, in collaboration with the research team.
- Data and case analysis, writing of scientific articles, and presentation of research results at international conferences.
- Participation in the activities of the Center for International Environmental Studies (CIES).
- PhD in Political Science or International Relations.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the field of international organizations, global governance, and/or accountability.
- The ideal candidate would have an active research agenda close to the themes of the project.
- Skills linked to quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Project management skills and ability to work independently and to take charge of administrative and research activities while respecting deadlines.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Excellent oral and written command of English. Passive knowledge of French is a plus as the Graduate Institute is a bi-lingual environment (French and English).
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Motivation letter highlighting your research experience related to the project
- CV including list of publications
- Two writing samples on a matter related to the project research
- Names and contact information of three references
Contact for further information: Click to send email
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, marital status, disability status, race, national origin, color, gender, sexual orientation or religion.
For more information, candidates are encouraged to consult the Institute's website: graduateinstitute.ch
If you are interested in the position, please apply here: erecruit
Please note that offers received by post won't be considered.
Institut de Hautes Etudes Internationales et du Développement
CP 1672, Chemin Eugène-Rigot 2
1211 Genève 21