Senior Commercial Counsel
Publication date:25 November 2022
Place of work:PO 765, 1215 Geneva 15
Senior Commercial Counsel
Sonar’s industry-leading solution enables developers and development teams to write clean code and remediate existing code organically, so they can focus on the work they love and maximize the value they generate for businesses. Its open source and commercial solutions – SonarLint, SonarCloud, and SonarQube – support 29 programming languages. Trusted by more than 300,000 organizations globally, Sonar is considered integral to delivering better software.
The impact you can have
We are looking for someone with strong commercial software contracting skills who can balance protecting our company with supercharging our growing global business. As part of a small but mighty legal team, you can also expect to branch out into other areas (eg. privacy, IP, corporate) depending on your interest and experience. Reporting line and title will depend on the candidate, as we are open to a range of seniority levels.
On a daily basis, you will
- Negotiate a wide range of commercial transactions, including sales agreements, vendor contracts, and partnership deals.
- Collaborate within the legal team, as well as with members of our sales, finance, marketing, product, IT security, and executive teams.
- Advise internal stakeholders regarding key issues and risks in our contracts and ensure that our agreements follow the standards of our internal negotiating playbooks.
- Help develop and maintain a streamlined, efficient, and scalable contracting process, including a contract management system.
- Tackle anything else that comes our way, given that we are a fast-growing and innovative technology company.
The skills you will demonstrate
- Bar admission with 4+ years of commercial/technology experience, with a particular focus in negotiating customer and partnership agreements. Prior in-house experience with an international technology/software company is preferred but private practice will also be considered.
- Excellent negotiation, drafting, and communication skills, including the ability to develop relationships with key stakeholders and teams across the business.
- An understanding of key privacy, data protection, information security, intellectual property, and other related issues that impact contract negotiation. Direct experience in any of these other fields is a plus.
- The ability to prioritize and juggle multiple work assignments at once.
- A start-up mentality, including a willingness to roll up your sleeves, clear blockers, think creatively, and support the business to drive projects to completion.
- Excellent English written/verbal communication skills.
- Flexibility with work schedule to accommodate occasional calls outside of your regular time zone.
- Working knowledge of Salesforce, LinkSquares, and/or ServiceNow is preferred.
Why you will love it here
• Safe work culture - we value respect, kindness, and the right to fail.
• Flexible hours - we schedule our days in order to be effective at work, while also being able to enjoy life’s important moments.
• Great people - we value people skills as much as technical skills and strive to keep things friendly and laid back. Still, that does not prevent us to be passionate leaders in our domains. Our 300+ SonarSourcers from 33 different nationalities can relate!
• Work-life balance - keeping a healthy work-life balance is important. This is why we have a hybrid work policy and some people prefer working some days from home.
• Always keep learning - in an ever-changing industry, learning new skills is a must, and we're happy to help our team to acquire them.
What we do
Sonar was started by a team of developers that wanted to change the way code is built in an agile development process. The company was created to develop the open-source tool SonarQube, which is now the standard in code quality management with over 350,000 instances deployed today. Every day we are focused on solving developers’ next big problem.
Who we are
At Sonar we believe in people, excellence, and delivery. We’re a team of problem solvers and overachievers who seek out others who are also passionate and relentless in their respective missions. We want to work with people who are ready to fasten their seat belts and be part of an incredible ride. We work hard not because we’re told to, but because we genuinely love what we do and do what we love. If there’s one main message we want you to remember about us, it’s that we push others to be best in class at whatever they do: choose your battle, innovate, take risks, and lead change. Join us; we’ll be smarter and stronger together.
If this sounds like you, apply now!