Job Vacancy - English Teacher
Publication date:21 November 2022
Place of work:Chemin des Chavasses 23, 1885 Chesières
About our School
“Be Happy and Never, Never, Never Give Up” - Gre´gory Me´an
La Garenne School - Be the one that makes the difference
La Garenne is an international boarding and day school for 5 to 18 year olds which has been delivering exceptional education for over 75 years. Owned and managed by the second generation of the Swiss Me´an family, the school prides itself on its personal approach and individualised attention.
We deliver real-world learning, both in terms of academic achievement and life skills that last for generations. In the Primary School (ages 5-11), students follow the International Primary Curriculum (IPC), which prepares them to enter the Secondary School where they study the highly-regarded International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (ages 11-16). Upon completion of the MYP, our students start their studies for the IB and High School Diploma Programmes.
Our team is multilingual and multinational and forms a unique community which is supportive, friendly, empathetic, hard-working, flexible and resilient. We encourage all staff to think creatively and be that special person who helps bring out the best in every student.
We are looking for an English teacher who is enthusiastic about teaching students across the Secondary age ranges, who is motivated to develop themselves as a teacher and embraces forward thinking pedagogical practice. The ability to teach English B to IB Diploma level and English Literature and Language Acquisition (as required) to Middle School would be an advantage.
Location: Switzerland Main Duties
Teach across the age and ability range, adapting lessons to the needs of each individual.
Contribute to wider school life through participation in sporting events, ECAs and other enrichment activities.
Seek to develop your own professional practice and development.
Be responsible for mentoring a small group of learners and monitoring their
achievements and well-being.
Clear commitment to the safeguarding of all young people.
Completing any subject related administration as needed and participating in departmental meetings.
Follow the school’s assessment and reporting processes and attend parents’ meetings as required
Has a good honours degree and/or a further degree in a directly-related subject.
Embraces a commitment to working within the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion.
Is passionate about their subject and has the ability to enthuse others.
Embraces developments and innovations in teaching and learning and is willing to experiment with new practices.
Is willing to act as a supervisor to learners completing the MYP Personal Project or the DP Extended Essay as needed.
Has excellent written and verbal communication skills with English mother tongue.
Shares the educational vision of La Garenne International School including our holistic vision of education and is excited to contribute to the co-curricular and pastoral aspects of life at the school.
- Has strong interpersonal skills and can build relationships and collaborate with colleagues and school leadership.
- Strong ICT competence and willing to embrace new technologies for teaching and learning.
- Possesses a positive outlook, an optimistic approach to change and development, and a good sense of humour.
How to Apply
We welcome applicants who have a passion for education, who are ready to offer individual attention, participate in the life of the whole school and who will uphold our Guiding Principles.
La Garenne International School is fully committed to safeguarding the children and young people in our care. All new staff are subject to enhanced pre-employment clearance, including criminal records and Swiss Justice Department searches for people working with children, as well as identity, qualifications and employment verification.
Please send the following documents by email to Write an email or by post to the address below:
Full curriculum vitae.
A letter of application, preferably handwritten.
A copy of your passport information page and/or Swiss work permit.
Names and contact details of at least two referees for your last two jobs.
La Garenne International School
- The opportunity to live and work in a beautiful area with great connections to the rest of Europe
- A safe and secure environment in which to work
- The numerous outdoor activities that are on offer (particularly as Villars is a renowned ski resort)
- An opportunity to learn or improve your French
- To work in a school with an excellent reputation
- To be part of a growing school with opportunities for advancement
- Attractive working conditions
- Professional development opportunities
- Possibility to travel internationally
- Depending on availability, discounted tuition fees for staff children
- To teach in modern classrooms with the latest technology
- Approximately 15 weeks’ annual holiday
- Annual ski pass and local Access Card (free summer activities and public transport in summer) offered by the school for full time teaching staff
- Final interviews held at the school at the school’s expense once approved by the General Director
No recruitment agencies please