Primary School Teacher
Publication date:11 November 2022
Place of work:Avenue de Sécheron 11, 1202 Genève
Ecole La Découverte is seeking a Primary school Head starting from mid-August 2023.
La Découverte is a primary school of 230 children which practices active teaching and learning methods. It is located in the Sécheron quarter of Geneva, next to the United Nations, and welcomes Swiss and International families. At La Découverte the children learn 50% in English and 50% in French, but the principal language in the final two years is French. The school has a large French speaking community and socandidates must be native English speaking and fully bilingual (French & English).
The children’s voice is strongly valued at La Découverte and we prioritise socially constructed knowledge. The successful candidate will have a passion for, and a proven track record of, developing active and enquiry-based methods of teaching and learning. Our pedagogical philosophy is inspired by Freinet, Dewey, Vygotsky and Reggio Emilia, the chosen candidate must have an in depth knowledge of the history of active pedagogy in the 20th century and its practical application. The school has a history of constant innovation and the candidate we seek would be imaginative, creative and dynamic.
Primary Head Teacher
An extensive knowledge and experience of best practice in Swiss and international schools including knowledge of the Plan d’études Romand is required.
The candidate must:
- Commit to a shared vision, that adheres to La Découverte values, which inspires and motivates students, staff and all other members of the school community.
- Lead a motivated group of teachers and assistants that is fully engaged in achieving excellence in all areas through active teaching and learning methods and have a strong commitment to the professional development of the team.
- Work closely with teachers, parents and children to optimize the social, emotional and academic growth every individual student.
- Collaborate with the site director and deputy head to implement effective strategic and operational planning and create a strategy for school improvement and innovation.
The role requires :
- Three years experience in a similar primary school leadership role
- Excellent people skills
- A strong ability to evaluate children in a classroom setting
- Experience of collaboration in a leadership team
To apply for this position, please send your CV, along with covering letter and references, to Write an email with the subject Primary Head Teacher.
Please find more information about our school at www.decouverte.ch