Business Development Project Leader
At Roche, we believe it’s urgent to deliver medical solutions right now – even as we develop innovations for the future. We are passionate about transforming patients’ lives and we are daring in both decision and action. And we believe that good business means a better world. That is why we come to work each day. We commit ourselves to scientific rigour, unassailable ethics, and access to medical innovations for all. We do this today to build a better tomorrow.
This position is with Pharma Partnering where e are passionate about science: yours and ours. Through partnerships we can build a better future together with medicines and diagnostics that make a real difference to patients. Our approach to partnering is open and flexible; with a creative approach to deal structuring that is as dynamic and enterprising as ever. We are proud that our alliance management is recognised amongst the best in the industry.
- Closely collaborating with R&D and Global Product Strategy leaders to define areas of interest and to develop and execute the partnering strategy for those areas
- Sourcing new therapeutic opportunities that are consistent with the company’s scientific and business objectives, including preparing in-depth opportunity landscapes, attending scientific and partnering conferences, and networking with biotechs, venture capitalists, academia and biopharmaceutical companies
- Driving decision-making and the deal process, and making presentations and recommendations to senior management
- Leading scientific and strategic assessments and cross-functional due diligence reviews
- Developing and recommending proposed deal structures and financial terms, and leading negotiations of term sheets and contracts with potential partners in collaboration with Legal and Finance
- Coaching and mentoring other BDPLs on all aspects of the deal process
- Travel as needed for negotiations and for building coalitions of support for key deals across Roche
- An advanced degree in life sciences, medicine or data science. An MBA or JD, or an equivalent combination of scientific and business education and experience is helpful, e.g., strategy consulting experience.
- High level of expertise of business development or transactional experience with a track record of leading and successfully completing complex or high impact transactions in life sciences, diagnostics or personalized health care; experience with both preclinical and clinical therapeutic opportunities preferred
- Proven ability to build and lead teams, drive business decisions, and manage multiple projects effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Energetic, result-driven, self-starter with a strong executive presence, collaborative mindset, and ability to think strategically and analytically
- Solid understanding of the drug/technology/diagnostic discovery, development and commercialization process, and demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with R&D leadership; knowledge of the therapeutic and partnering landscape within a sector of interest to Roche is a plus
- A verifiable reputation of integrity, resilience, fairness, collegiality and passion for supporting difficult, data-driven decisions in support of driving or walking-away from deals
- Good business instincts and fluency with business analytics and valuation methodologies
- Superb oral and written communication, interpersonal, influence and negotiation skills
- Skilful presenter of scientific and business topics to executives
Location: Basel Headquarter
Are you ready to apply? We are looking a person who thinks beyond the job offered - someone who knows that this position can be a rare springboard to many other opportunities at Roche.
Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building teams that represents a range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
If you still have questions then please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.