Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, "‹quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Celgene is heavily committed to improve the quality of care and the outcomes of patients affected by Multiple Myeloma (MM). As part of the global effort to fight MM, Celgene is directly, or through collaborations, developing a franchise of innovative therapies targeting the B-Cell Maturation Antigen (BCMA), a surface antigen highly expressed by the malignant MM cells that has been proven in early clinical experience to be an effective target for antimyeloma treatments.
Reporting to the WWM MM Medical Affairs Disease Lead (Executive Director MA MM), the BCMA Franchise Associate Director Medical Affairs shows leadership, deep knowledge and data understanding of the assigned product(s) and franchise, coupled with effective synthesis and communication skills.
This position is responsible for the provision of specific activities in relation to the design and delivery of a comprehensive Medical Affairs program to support the BCMA franchise within the MM Medical Affairs Team.
The program will provide educational activities, lectures and workshops and medical support for internal (MA functions across WWM affiliates, HQ-based marketing and market access functions) and external audiences (KOLs, nurses and in general HCPs attending company-sponsored educational events). In addition, the program may cover the management of Investigator Initiated Trial application review and ongoing management in partnership with the corresponding global functions, plus the strategic management of the WWM KOL plans for the MM disease area, with a specific focus on the BCMA franchise.
The position will be integrated in a cross functional globally led strategic team (G3M or G4M) where it is expected to provide medical and scientific input from the WWM regional perspective in the development of the launch plan for assets of the BCMA franchise and for the implementation of the CAR T model for Multiple Myeloma in the WWM region. As such, this position will need to acquire rapidly a good knowledge of the CAR T operating model and to show a deep scientific background in cancer immunology. In consideration of the leadership position of Celgene in MM, a good understanding of how to best integrate the BCMA franchise within the complex MM portfolio strategy is also requested. The position will collaborate and coordinate with a cross-functional MM team (including medical affairs functions responsible for other MM assets and products, commercial and market access) and with the respective US-based Global Medical Affairs functions to maximize Global effectiveness of Medical Affairs activities
As an active member of the WWM MM Disease Team, cross functional team(s) and (as appropriate) G3M/G4Ms or Global MM MA Leadership Team, the position will be actively involved in cross-functional team activity, strategic and budget planning and other Medical Affairs functions supporting the business, as deemed appropriate by the WWM MM MA Disease Lead (Executive Director MA MM).
The Associate Director position can be deputized in the absence of the WWM MA MM Disease Lead (Ex Director MA, MM).
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Support the training and supervision of the MM team Medical Affairs Managers and/or Administrative support staff, as appropriate
2. Planning and implementing international medical educational events / symposia. These events will be planned through close collaboration with Celgene Affiliate partners and Global Medical Affairs and Disease Team/G3M/G4M
3. Manage complex tasks in autonomy, including the review of regulatory documents for product(s) or franchises within the assigned responsibility, training of key functions on top priority projects and datasets, interaction with global functions, provide business recommendations, manage in autonomy company-sponsored satellite symposia and Advisory Boards, manage and negotiate projects with external providers
4. Support the maintenance of fully functioning Key Opinion Leader management program for the WWM Region including organization and participation in Advisory- and Consultant Board meetings. Specific country responsibilities can be assigned by the WWM MA MM Disease Lead (Ex director Medical Affairs MM)
5. Partner with the WWM MA MM Disease Lead in the provision of staff therapeutic education training program for the MM therapeutic area with a specific focus on anticancer cell therapy and immunology and the BCMA franchise, in collaboration with Medical Affairs Communications and Operations team.
6. Provide medical and strategic input for cross-functional stakeholders as member of the product or franchise-specific regional cross-functional team, including Marketing, Market Access and if required Business Planning and Marketing & Sales Effectiveness. Budget planning and -management.
7. Provide through Medical Affairs team and approved vendors, educational materials and tools which are approved for use with external audiences.
8. When applicable, ensure the rapid and comprehensive review and tracking of Investigator Initiated study proposals and the collaborative support required to effectively budget and manage the support for investigator led independent studies. The responsibility will be allocated for specific European Countries, and activities will be accountable overall to the MM Disease Lead.
9. Provide Regional input into Global Publication Planning initiatives and, when applicable, in other strategic documents and workstreams (such as Open Data questions, ODQs).
10. Core membership of one or more WWM cross functional teams and (if applicable) of the Global G3Ms/G4Ms.
11. Partner with Global MA Functions as needed and as functional to the business, including co-leadership of specific global projects through short assignments or secondments.
12. Other responsibilities as assigned.
ï‚§ Strong scientific background (in cancer immunology/immunology highly desirable) including a medical/scientific degree and 6+ years' experience in a field relevant to pharmaceutical medical affairs
ï‚§ Experience in the Hematology and/or Oncology Therapeutic area, specific experience in Multiple Myeloma highly desirable
ï‚§ Experience in educational event design- and planning
ï‚§ Awareness of \international diversity of clinical practices and healthcare systems
ï‚§ Excellent communication and organization skills paired with high professional presence and credibility
o Proven team-player with strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
o Creative thinking and innovation
o Social intelligence and ability to work in a diverse and multicultural environment
ï‚§ Ability to represent Celgene at a high level of professional presence and credibility
ï‚§ Excellent Computer skills required, specifically Windows software, including Word, Access, Excel and PowerPoint
ï‚§ Experience and knowledge of the drug development and/or commercialization process desired
ï‚§ Regular travel required
ï‚§ Strong identification with Celgene's values and objectives