Director of Product Development
Permanent position - 100%
The Director of Product Development is responsible for the overall vision and strategy for the...
Director of Product Develeopment
Director of Product Development
Permanent position - 100%
The Director of Product Development is responsible for the overall vision and strategy for the Product Development function. This person will lead and manage all new product development activities. This strategic leadership role will lead towards the aggressive growth of business with a focus on innovative product design and development. As a key member of the company's leadership team, this position will promote and drive innovation and excellence through cross-functional collaboration. A key task for this member is to implement agile and robust development processes which ensure minimization of time to market, adapt to customer insights and ensure the best quality. This individual will be fully empowered and accountable for the execution of the tasks required to drive completion of all projects on time and within budget.
- Development and execution of the overall Product Develop plan that supports company's 5-year Strategic Plan
- Define new product objectives, develop project and departmental budgets, determine timelines and establish accomplishment milestone to measure progress
- Plan, drive, prioritize and oversee the on-time development of new cardiovascular medical device products that meet quality and customer requirements
- Develop and implement product and software development processes based on an agile approach
- Partner with Marketing, define and communicate an innovative and robust product roadmap that aligns with long-term business objectives
- Work with KOL's to generate and refine pipeline and portfolio strategy
- Assess the commercial potential of research results and allocate resources to strategically expand and strengthen company's product offerings.
- Develop and leverage partnerships effectively with cross functional teams including Marketing, Quality, Manufacturing and Regulatory to achieve business results
- Demonstrate technical expertise and the ability to understand our customers unique needs with a commitment to driving a product development process that addresses those needs
- Collaborate with the VP of Research and Technology to transition products from research phase to product development process
- Lead and provide strategic direction to a highly functional team of professionals responsible for the development of medical device products
- Lead the Product Development organization through proactive communication, effective change management and strategy alignment
- Communicate company's corporate objectives, goals, directives and policies to the Product Development team, creating a clear vision and positive, team-oriented environment
- Create a culture of innovation and excellence in a fast-paced, lean environment
- Recruit, hire, develop and manage Product Development leaders in order to effectively work through others to accomplish business goals and empower employee success
- Ensure that all team resources are aligned and driven to achieve project milestones and corporate initiatives.
- Provide technical engineering leadership and mentoring to ensure new product development projects remain on schedule, within budgets, meet end use performance criteria, and fully conform to established design control and related FDA/ISO compliance criteria.
- Ensure rigorous documentation for all phases of development, including design specifications, verification/validation test plans, and project schedules.
- Participate in the selection of vendors and fabrication sources. Work closely with (contract) manufacturers to promote efficient design transfer into production.
- Partner with strategic Marketing to identify, assess and drive new product development opportunities that provide value to the company business and positioning.
- Master's degree in Computer science or Electrical engineering (or equivalent engineering discipline)
- 15+ years of technical product development experience
- 10+ years' experience in the medical device industry or highly regulated industry
- Innovative thinker and problem solver; brings a big-picture perspective - the ability to see how all the pieces fit together and contribute to the achievement of broader organizational objectives; strong business acumen and judgment.
- Strong technical aptitude, hands-on and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to influence
- Moderate level of knowledge related to regulatory requirements for product registration on global basis
- Application of project and portfolio management systems and processes
- Development Sciences:
- Software and Electrical: DOA analysis, six-sigma black belt processes, circuit design, PCB board layout, micro processing, FPGA programming, programming languages, CAN, cloud computing, informatics.
- Proven experience with the implementation of agile (SCRUM) product development processes within the medical device industry.
- Proven ability to motivate, manage, and develop innovative teams composed of scientific and technical personnel
- Project Management experience
- Exceptional verbal, written and presentation skills
- Moderate computer skills including Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
- High level of professionalism
- Technical expertise in diagnostic imaging
- Technical expertise in healthcare informatics
- Basic understanding of Hospital networks and TCP/IP protocols
- Managerial Skills
- 15+ years' experience directly managing engineers or highly technical teams
- Demonstrated track record in hiring, developing, and retaining top technical talent.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully leading, coaching, developing and motivating a committed, well-aligned technical team that delivers results.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to interface, negotiate influence multi-disciplinary teams and with different levels of personnel.