This position is responsible for providing a diverse range of complex Intellectual Property (IP) tasks to support Bobst's IP department. This position works closely with the responsible in-house attorneys and other department administrators in supporting analyzing complex legal issues and considering solutions, in addition to acting as a liaison with business clients and outside counsel. Intellectual Property Work
Collaboration with internal clients and third parties
- Define, organize and implement group-wide IP administration, including implementation of IP management software, in close collaboration with Head of Group IP
- Manage, support and assist to develop IP department processes and initiatives to increase efficiencies, improve workflow and collaboration between IP department and clients/external attorneys
- Manage, support and/or assist with special projects, especially modernize and maintain of an Intranet-webpage
- Assist in maintaining the global IP portfolio by attending the maintenance and annuity fee payments; monitor and take actions that all legal time limits are met
- Assist in processing and managing incoming/outgoing communications in connection with the company's IP portfolio
- Support and assist in generating requested IP (portfolio) reports
- Support and assist contract management
- Support and assist in decision process by preparing the relevant documents and execute taken decisions
Decide and act with speed and rigor
- Support in-house IP functions by assisting in the preparation of required formality paperwork for IP filings, court proceedings and other legal matters and by the preparation of simple responses to official communications and notifications
- Monitor and update docket for responsible attorneys on a regular basis ensuring that all relevant deadlines are met in a timely manner
- Review incoming invoices and prepare validation thereof
Connect and collaborate
- Take accountability for own performance and results. Make and act on decisions while balancing speed, quality and risk. Use input from key stakeholders and engage in constructive dialogue to make decisions. Communicate rationale and support decisions once made. Plan for contingencies and make adjustments as needed.
Innovate and improve
- Focus on the needs and perspectives of colleagues and customers. Seek diverse viewpoints. Communicate directly, openly and honestly. Build strong relationships by being transparent, reliable, and delivering on commitments. Listen, seek to understand, and ask questions. Support fellow team members to meet shared goals.
Grow and engage
- Learn, apply and share lessons from experience. Embrace and adapt to change. Challenge the status quo to simplify work and improve results. Seek new information and external insights to improve the company's results. Identify and take informed business risks, escalating issues if needed. Generate new ideas or alternatives that create value.
Experience & Competencies
- Share knowledge and learning with others. Seek and give feedback and coaching. Meet challenges with enthusiasm. Recognize other's achievements. Challenge self and others to continuously learn and improve.
- Methodology : Excellent analytical and judgment skills.
- Influencing/Communication : Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Skilfully and cooperatively works across boundaries and the matrix to achieve results.
- Self Starter: Demonstrated ability to collaborate, as well as to work independently, balancing competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor degree or completed commercial training or equivalent; paralegal certificate/equivalent IP certification preferred; apprenticeship "Patentanwaltsfachangestellte" in Germany
- At least 5 years of experience as a IP paralegal with experience in IP filing and good knowledge of EP patent prosecution formalities.
- Familiarity with an IP asset management software program
- Used to navigating in international and matrix-driven environments
- Excellent skills in English; Good command of French and/or German
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, close attention to detail
BOBST is one of the world's leading suppliers of equipment and services to packaging and label manufacturers in the folding carton, corrugated board and flexible materials industries. We are present in over 50 countries. With more than 125 years of success in the markets, BOBST is always at the forefront of new technology developments to best respond to its clients' needs. Our leading position is due in particular to our capacity for innovation, the quality of our products and services, our values and the quality of our highly qualified staff.
The production site of Mex, near Lausanne in Switzerland, is also the headquarters of the Bobst Group. It is the most important site, employing approx. 1500 passionate people.
It also trains each year roughly 200 apprentices. The site offers an idyllic work environment. In the countryside and close to major highways, it is also well served by public transport. It offers many amenities, such as a corporate restaurant, sports fields, a fitness and a nursery. The facilities have been recently renovated and represent a model for sustainable development.